Thursday, March 12, 2009
Concerned about poverty and hunger on a global scale, but not sure how to make a difference at the local level? The Oxfam Action Corps provides a way to change the big picture, starting with your local community, and we’re looking for committed people from your area to join today!
The Oxfam Action Corps is a group of dedicated volunteers in more than a dozen US cities who campaign with Oxfam in their neighborhoods, at town events, and concerts. Anyone can join! In addition, two volunteers from each city will come to Washington DC for an Oxfam training in advocacy and organizing.
The Oxfam Action Corps is based in the following cities: Albuquerque, NM; Austin, TX; Burlington, VT; Chicago, IL; Columbus, OH; Kansas City, MO; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN ; New York City, NY; Palo Alto/San Jose, CA; Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA
To sign up, go to: http://www.oxfamactioncorps.org/oxfam_action_corps_application
The deadline to apply is Saturday, March 14.
This year, Oxfam Action Corps volunteers will mobilize around one of the greatest challenges of our time: climate change and its impact on the world’s poorest communities. While Climate change affects us all, it is having a disproportionate impact on people in poor communities. From floods in Bangladesh, droughts in Uganda, and hurricanes on the US Gulf Coast, Oxfam America is enacting solutions and calling for an equitable response to the global crisis.
Here is what previous Oxfam Action Corps organizers said:
“As an activist, I had done fundraising. But the Oxfam Action Corps was about public education and raising awareness, and I found people really appreciated my work.” Khadija, Mechanical Engineer, Pennsylvania.
“My work with the Oxfam Action Corps has helped immensely in building organizing and mobilization skills. It was a great way for me to start reaching out and getting to know the people in the community.” Julie, Assistant Human Resources/Office Manager, Colorado.
What are the ways that I can get involved?
- Apply to be a Corps organizer for your city and also become eligible to attend the Oxfam training in Washington DC. As a Corps organizer you will help convene local activities and inspire others to get involved, all with ongoing training and coaching from dedicated Oxfam staff.
- Sign up to volunteer with the Oxfam Action Corps in your city, to help out as needed with planning and participation in activities. All levels of experience are welcome!
Can you tell me more about the training?
The Oxfam Action Corps training will take place in Washington DC, April 18-21, 2009. The training is free, including your travel and related expenses. The two Corps organizers selected from each city will attend the training.
During the training you will:
- Meet amazing activists and learn from seasoned professionals in policy and campaigning.
- Learn how to engage people in your city
- Gain experience lobbying on Capitol Hill
- Prepare for a year of campaigning in your home city
Your support will be critical to promoting policies that could help lift millions of people out of poverty. You really can make a difference!
Sign up now at http://www.oxfamactioncorps.org/oxfam_action_corps_application
The deadline to apply is Saturday, March 14
Thank you for your support!