Thursday, December 08, 2005

Hartford U2 show


ONE Volunteer Crew
Originally uploaded by Brande Jackson.
Harford presented us with a whole new version of cold. I’m not a certified meteorologist or anything, but it was insanely cold. Painfully cold.

Yet our volunteers toughed it out and joined us. Hartford had just been declared a City of One, like Boston, so our volunteers were eager to get to work and let people know. Our crew in Hartford was nothing short of AMAZING – several of them had driven hours to join us, they were well organized and excited to be there, Dan and I really, really enjoyed working with them all!



ONE Volunteer
Originally uploaded by Brande Jackson.
It was soooo cold in side of the venue though – poor Carlos got the colder booth of the two tonight, but he had his new ear muffs to protect him! Definitely an older building – really narrow halls and apparently no heat! That didn’t phase fans though – they joined the ONE Campaign AND proved to be notable U2 fans, as they were LOUD! I was also really moved when Bono spoke about John Lennon and his voice cracked and the sincerity of his emotion came through. He came back though with an amazing version of Instant Karma that had the crowd on it’s feet, screaming along.



ONE Volunteers
Originally uploaded by Brande Jackson.

I also wanted to thank the fan in the backwards Yankee’s hat that walked by the table in a crowd, waving something at me. When I stuck my hand out towards him, he crammed something in it and walked away, smiling and giving me a thumbs up. I looked down to see a $100 dollar bill. I’m bummed he didn’t wait long enough to at least be thanked for his support, but we very much so appreciate it! Every night we get to meet people like this – those that are giving their time and their voice to this campaign, expecting nothing in return, and becoming empowered in the process. I have the best job on the planet…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been with DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) for more than two years and with ONE for almost a whole year. It has been a blast working with such outreach groups as yourselves. This was my first work with you guys and you guys were great! Keep up the good work. I look foward to seeing you and/or working with you in the future. But maybe it will be seeing you, as I plan to attend Coldplay in April at Mohegan Sun as a "spectator" -- LOL at least my feet will be happy!!! --Judi

Brande said...

Thanks Judi! We can't wait to work with you all again!