Friday, April 15, 2005

Madison Elementary joins us as ONE


IMG_1427
Originally uploaded by Brande Jackson.
In addition to our concert outreach, Lokahi also runs other outreach programs for our non-profit partners, and our own voter education and after school programs (www.turningtables.org). I develop the curriculum and teach in these after school programs myself, and recently we presented a several week long curriculum to our students at Madison Elementary School in Pasadena, CA about poverty and disease around the world and what they as kids could do to help (check out www.turningtables.org for more info and for the soon to be published curriculum!). I also used this lesson to explain to them why I would be in and out over the next few weeks - they love their other teachers from Lokahi/Turning Tables but are always bummed when I leave to work on a tour for a while! - and as a gift I gave them all a ONE band and explained the importance to them. They were very excited and are still wearing the bands every day (albeit they are sticky and dirty by now...) and are eager to continue to work and help in their own capacity on the campaign.

No comments: