Sunday, December 11, 2005

U2 in Cleveland


U2 fans and ONE volunteer
Originally uploaded by Brande Jackson.
Saw Vertigo Air from the highway as we were driving in. Sometimes, I still have these moments where I realize how surreal my life has become. Seeing a giant jet on the runway with the Vertigo logo and ‘U2’ painted on the side and remembering I have become a part of that this year was one of those moments.



U2 fans joining ONE
Originally uploaded by Brande Jackson.
Cleveland…seems like I spend an awful lot of time in Ohio – we have done shows here and in Cinci and Columbus on all of our other tours, and I probably dive across this state more than any other, but this was our first jaunt through the state with U2. We had a really fun and diverse crew of volunteers tonight – people that have been in the peace corp or work for relief organizations, and people like Sheri, a long time AIDS advocate who told me in an email that she was ’60 something years young and wanted to be sure I would fit in with the U2 crowd!’ Meeting people like Sheri and so many of our volunteers is incredibly inspiring, and really makes one appreciate how many people there are in the world that choose to devote their lives to the noble goal of ‘making things better’. This amazing team helped us sign up over 1500 Clevelanders for the campaign. People are really nice here too – like every now and then you’ll work in a city and really notice how polite and nice everyone is; venue staff, fans, everyone was really cool.


Special thanks to U2 merch guy Joe who found our shipment of bands buried in some secret closet at the venue at about 12am as well. He came rolling them up to us, looking kinda apprehensive as we were loading out. ‘You didn’t sell out tonight did you?” I had been looking for them all day, literally tearing apart every nook and cranny backstage ("someone check Edge's dressing room, I bet they are hidden in there!"), and even though we had sold out, it was late at night and I was way excited to have bands for the next show on Monday. Joe is sort of the 'Horse Whisperer of Boxes' – he can sense them, feel them and find them anywhere for you…

No comments: